Have you been…
- Feeling worthless, guilty or like a failure?
- More withdrawn from your friends and family?
- Unable to participate/enjoy activities that once bought you joy?
- Having crying spells or getting teary-eyed easily?
- Eating too much or engaging in binge eating, or experiencing loss of appetite?
- Having difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep or sleeping too much or too little?
- Getting easily distracted or having difficulty concentrating or staying focused?
- Having suicidal or other self- harming thoughts?
- Getting easily angered or irritable?
- Feeling restless?
- Experiencing fatigue or body pain?
Everyone feels down and/or sad from time to time.
But when you have depression, you could experience extreme sadness or despair that lasts more than days. And it can interfere with the daily activities and even cause physical pain.
When you’re depressed, it can feel quite hopeless. It might feel as if a dark cloud is always following you around over your head, preventing you from having a sunny/happy day. And no matter what you do, you can’t seem to get rid of it.
The good news is, even the most severe depression is treatable!
Psychotherapy is an extremely effective treatment for depression, either alone or in combination with medications. So do not hesitate to seek for help to reclaim your life today!
And remember, despite what you’ve been told by the society or the culture of origin, depression is not a sign of weakness. It’s not something you can/should just “get over” or “snap out of.” It’s an illness that requires professional treatment just like any other physical illness we might experience. There is no shame in getting the help you need.
Liz Wee, LMFT, ATR
I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, a Registered Art Therapist, and a Board Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist. My approach is attachment-based/Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) and I am trained in several other modalities such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), and Mindfulness. But I customize each treatment based on my clients’ needs. I am currently in the process of getting certified in Sex Therapy and EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy).
Learn more about me here.